Magnesium Oil is not really an oil rather, it is a brine.
It is made with straight magnesium chloride flakes and water.The magnesium oil I use is the highest quality I could find and comes from the Dead Sea.It contains 31% Magnesium, 80 trace minerals and is low in sodium.
Trans-dermal magnesium therapy is well known to relieve pain in joints
and muscles. Apply as needed to areas of pain and discomfort. Let it sit for 20-30 min before rinsing it off.
Transdermal Magnesium Therapy has many more benefits than smply relief from discomfort read on:
Magnesium is one of the most common and necessary fast acting, safe and effective medicines and is used in both allopathic as well as naturopathic medicine. Magnesium Chloride treatments are used in a wide variety of ways including in emergency rooms to save lives as well as for post sports recovery.
Magnesium chloride treatments address systemic nutritional deficiencies, enhance immune system function, improve cellular function by protecting cells from oxidative damage as well as bringing new energy to cells where applied topically.
Symptoms and Major Diseases Associated with Magnesium Deficiency:
• Anxiety and Panic attacks- Magnesium (Mg) normally keeps adrenal stress hormones under control.
• Asthma- Histamine production and bronchial spasms increase with Mg deficiency.
• Blood clots- Mg helps by keeping the blood thin-much like aspirin but without the side effects.
• Bowel disease- deficiency causes constipation, which could lead to toxicity and mal absorption of nutrients, as well as colitis.
• Cystitis- Bladder spasms are worsened by Mg deficiency
• Depression-Serotonin is dependent on Mg. A Mg-deficient brain is also more susceptible to allergens.
• Detoxification- Mg is crucial for the removal of toxic substances and heavy metals such as mercury, aluminum and lead
• Diabetes- Mg enhances insulin secretion and facilitates sugar metabolism. Without Mg insulin is not able to transfer glucose to cells.
• Fatigue- Fatigue is often and early symptom of Mg-deficency.This is due to the fact that dozens of enzyme systems are under-functioning.Mg is needed for the production of over 326 different enzymes.
• Heart disease- Mg deficiency is common in people with heart disease. It is administered in hospitals for acute myocardial infarction and cardiac arrhythmia. Mg is also used to treat angina, or chest pain.
• Hypertension- With insufficient Mg, spasm of blood vessels and high cholesterol occur, both of which lead to blood pressure problems.
• Hypoglycemia- Mg keeps insulin under control; without Mg,expect episodes of low blood sugar.
• Insomnia, RLS, Sleeping Disorders - Just as Serotonin, Sleep-regulating melatonin production is disturbed without sufficient Mg.
• Kidney Disease- Mg deficiency contributes to atherosclerotic kidney failure. Mg deficiency creates abnormal lipid levels and worsening blood sugar control in kidney transplant patients.
• Liver Disease leading to liver failure- Mg deficiency commonly occurs during liver transplantation.
• Migraine- Serotonin balance is Mg-dependent. Deficiency of serotonin can result in migraine headaches and depression.
• Musculoskeletal conditions- Fibrositis, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, eye twitches, cramps and chronic neck and back pain may be relieved by Mg supplements.
• Nerve problems- Mg alleviates peripheral nerve disturbances throughout the whole body, such as migraines, muscle contractions, gastrointestinal spasms, and calf, foot and toe cramps. It is also used in treating central nervous symptoms of vertigo and confusion.
• Obstetrics and Gynecology- Mg prevents Premenstrual Syndrome; prevents dysmenorrhea (cramping pain during menses); is important in the treatment of infertility; and alleviates premature contractions, preeclampsia, and eclampsia in pregnancy. Intravenous Mg is given in obstetrical wards for pregnancy-induced hypertension and to lessen the risk of cerebral palsy and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Mg should be a required supplement for pregnant mothers.
• Osteoporosis- Use of calcium with Vitamin D to enhance calcium absorption without a balancing amount of Mg causes further Mg deficiency, which triggers a cascade of events leading to bone loss.
• Raynaud’s Syndrome- Mg helps relax the spastic blood vessels that cause pain and numbness of the fingers.
• Tooth decay- Mg deficiency causes an unhealthy balance of phosphorus and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
General Uses for Magnesium Oil
For the Skin: Sprayed on sun damaged skin regularly will begin to rejuvenate from the inside out and after a few months will be significantly restored. Helps with wrinkles as well as hair health and growth.
Dental: As a mouthwash sprayed into the mouth it is excellent for the gums and pushes the mouths ph up. Strengthens teeth and is excellent for gingivitis. It is magnesium, not calcium, which helps form hard tooth enamel resistant to decay.
Mucus Membranes: People have used low concentrations for nose and eye washes and even for application in the vagina. (Beware of stimulative effect).
General Tonic: Magnesium Chloride is a strong tonic boosting all aspects of cell physiology and energy production. Magnesium is essential for life as it participates in over 325 enzyme reactions. Expect more energy, strength and endurance and even increased sexual energy.
Sports: Magnesium is perhaps the single most important mineral to sports nutrition. Over 70% of the U.S. population is magnesium deficient. This is true especially of athletes. During vigorous exercise, people loose through their sweat critical minerals, the most important being magnesium. Adequate magnesium level will help your body against fatigue, heat exhaustion, blood sugar control and metabolism.
Pain Relief: Transdermal magnesium chloride treatments are essential in the treatment of sport injuries and the aches and pains of sore muscles.
Natural Immune System Booster: Dr. A. Neveu observed that magnesium chloride has no direct effect on bacteria (i.e. it is not an antibiotic). Thus he thought that its action was a specific, immune-enhancing, so it could be useful against viral diseases.
Memory and Cognitive Function: Magnesium deficit may lead to decreased memory and learning ability, while an abundance of magnesium may improve cognitive function in children and the elderly.
Meridian Scraping Therapy- Gua Sha
Meridian Scraping/Gua sha is an ancient East Asian healing technique taught by only a handful of Western practitioners. In China and Vietnam, scraping is commonly used to relieve the aches and fever associated with the common cold. The Greeks used a similar technique in their daily massage regiments to invigorate the blood and relieve pain.
Scraping therapy can be used to address various sorts of conditions. Most commonly used to treat body pain, to boost the immune system and to relieve symptoms of the common cold, this modality can also be used to generally balance the flow of qi through the meridians, to resolve certain psychospiritual issues and to innervate areas of poor circulation such as adipose tissue which can have both a detoxifying and contouring effect.
Gua sha provides lasting relief for chronic pain. There are a variety of both western and eastern mechanisms that contribute to and explain the results.
- As the practitioner strokes over muscle spasms that have become entrenched “knots”, the pain-spasm-pain cycle which keeps muscles tensed in a protective response is broken allowing the muscle to relax.
- Stroking over an area brings blood carrying oxygen and nutrients to tissue that has been deprived. The blood then carries away built up toxins like lactic acid.
- Frictioning the tissue warms the underlying support structure, fascia. Fascia crystallizes and individual strands begin to “glue” together for various reasons including misuse, repetitive trauma, overuse and deposits of toxins. Warming this tissue returns it to its natural gelatinous state and ‘melts’ any adhesions that may have formed.
- Once muscular tension and adhesions are released, the body is able to realize its original structure.
- Eastern philosophies recognize that exogenous factors like wind, heat, cold, and damp become trapped in the exterior layer of the body causing pain by obstructing the flow of qi and blood in the channels. Scraping techniques are the most effective way of releasing these pathogens from the exterior and encouraging the free flow of qi and blood.
Besides pain relief, Gua sha has many other benefits.
- By removing meridian obstructions, gua sha promotes the free flow of qi and blood, balancing the body and addressing almost any presenting illness.
- Blood stasis impedes the production of new blood. Once the stagnation is removed, new blood will be created again. Blood is the material basis of our minds. When deficient of blood, an individual has a difficult time with self esteem issues, creating boundaries and emotional flexibility. Blood deficiency will present a variety of other problems including muscular pain and lack of flexibility, lack of energy, dizziness, etc… By engendering the production of new blood, scraping treats both the psychospiritual and the physical problems associated with blood deficiency.
- Just like Rolfing or other modalities of deep bodywork, scraping can instigate emotional release. If the muscles are “holding” emotions, as they relax, these emotions will be freed and should be accepted, experienced, and resolved. As this happens, old issues that have been trapped in the muscles of the body naturally resolve.
- Scraping acts on fascia. Every organ, nerve, vein, artery, and muscle is sheathed in envelopes of fascia. By stroking the superficial fascia, deeper structures will be affected and their performance will be enhanced.
- Lymph glands and vessels are located in the fascia. The lymphatic system is responsible for draining excess interstitial fluid from tissue, transporting dietary lipids from the gastrointestinal tract to the blood, and protecting against invasion through immune response. Gua sha will promote the circulation of lymph and free any restrictions within the lymphatic system.
- Scraping enhances circulation in general providing undernourished areas with blood to both feed tissue and remove waste products. As an area is innervated, it will be detoxified and toned by the deep massaging action of the stroke.
A session will last from fifteen to forty five minutes depending on how many areas will be addressed. As with any sort of bodywork, the areas treated will include both the site of pain and also areas that contribute to the condition – primarily the neck, back, legs, arms, and chest.
First, oil or lotion will be applied. Then, the practitioner will use a smooth edged tool to stroke over the area. Stroking will continue until the sha is released.
A red rash called petechiae will appear as the tissue releases. The discoloration of the rash offers clues as to the nature and severity of the condition being addressed. It will take several days (generally 4 and up to 7) for the rash to fade. Stretching and light aerobic exercise like walking will hasten the rash’s healing.
Scraping is similar to a very deep massage. One moment might feel excruciatingly intense, the next overwhelmingly relaxing. The practitioner will respond to your level of sensitivity; however, as with the rest of our existence, there are often moments of discomfort that cannot be avoided in order to bring about growth and healing.
After a session, a cup of warm water is recommended, and be sure to rest and relax. Also, drink a large amount of water to clear all the toxins released by the treatment. If not, the toxins will settle back into the tissue causing stiffness and soreness or nausea and lightheadedness.
For a day or so after the treatment, avoid alcohol, caffeine and strenuous exercise and be sure to protect any treated area from direct exposure to sun, wind, or cold.
Gua sha is an indispensable tool in the treatment of chronic pain. In fact, it is a relevant tool in treating almost any disorder given its ability to clear stagnation, to engender the creation of blood, to release the exterior and to innervate and detoxify tissue.
- Sara illig